The Every Student Succeeds Act asks teachers to share responsibility for high student academic achievement and to build capacity for family involvement in these ways:
- Assisting parents in understanding academic standards, assessments, and how to monitor their child’s progress
- Providing materials and training to help parents to work with their children to improve their children’s achievement
ReadyRosie was created FOR teachers BY teachers with the goal of providing teachers a simple tool to meet these expectations in an effective and meaningful way. All videos in our library were inspired by the very standards that guide classroom instruction. We looked at these standards and asked questions like:
- What would it look like for a family to play a game around the concept that is expected by this standard?
- What type of vocabulary is implied in this standard that could be introduced or reviewed in the context of the home or other places that families often find themselves?
- What are the real-world applications of this standard? How can we make families aware of the connections between this “school learning” and the ways that parents and children use literacy and math every day?
Teachers are integrating ReadyRosie into their lesson planning and instruction in a variety of ways:
- Using ReadyRosie SHARE!
- Visiting our Resources page and finding the document that aligns to your state’s and grade level’s standards.
- Working with their district curriculum writers to embed ReadyRosie videos into the curriculum planning documents.
ReadyRosie is not one more thing teachers need to do! We exist to help teachers share the responsibility for high academic achievement and build capacity for family involvement. As teachers share our videos with their families, they are helping them to better understand the standards and assessments of school and they are providing accessible and meaningful ways for parents and caregivers to work with children.
We are proud and thankful for our ReadyRosie teachers!