Everywhere you look today, you see adults on their cell phone – in the grocery store, at the mall, in the car, walking down the street, at the ball field, etc. In fact, according to the Pew Research Center, 91% of adults own a cell phone. As a mobile tool, ReadyRosie can be accessed on any device: computer, tablet, or cell phone. We are often asked “what if my families don’t have access to the internet and have limited data on their cell plans?” Here are some suggestions to make Wi-Fi available to your families to access the ReadyRosie content:
- Have a designated computer or tablet at your school for parents to watch the ReadyRosie videos
- Show ReadyRosie videos at Parent Nights, PTA meetings, conferences, or other events held at the school. This is also a great time to get parents registered.
- Enlist the support of your local library who has tablets and computers for parents to use, as well as free WiFi.
In addition to local libraries and schools, many businesses across the country offer free Wi-Fi. Lifehacker.com has compiled a fairly comprehensive list:
- Burger King
- Dunkin Donuts
- Einstein Brothers
- Jimmy John’s
- Krispy Kreme
- Mc Donald’s
- Panera Bread
- Taco Bell
- Tim Horton’s
- Apple Store
- Barnes and Noble
- Best Buy
- FedEx Office
- Office Depot
- Sam’s Club
When using public Wi-Fi networks, it’s important to protect yourself. Here are some safeguards to keep in mind:
- Don’t enter personal information such as credit card or bank information
- Use “https” websites when possible.